Sunday, July 27, 2008

Leadership, Vision & The Inner Voice, Pt. 2

WHY:

There is a dichotomy that exists between a growing complexity of our own making and a lagging development of our own capacities. Aurelio Peccei calls this "the human gap." He states in his book, "No Limits to Learning: Bridging the Human Gap," that "the human gap is defined as the distance between growing complexity and our capacity to cope with it." I find it interesting that the very same situations that we produce because of our thinking are the complexities that we don't seem to have answers for. I believe this to be the main reason behind the importance of developing our ability to recognize, listen to and follow the inner voice.

I'll share an example from my own life to illustrate this point. Several years ago, I was trying to make some decisions that would surely have changed the course of my life. I was recovering from a life path I had chosen that had taken its toll on me, and was trying to make a course correct that included 2 good choices. I believe it was the first time in many years that the choices I was about to make were both good, including either getting married to a young girl, who, at the time I had grown to love both her and her young daughter, and serving a 2 year religious sabbatical for my church. For the first time, in a very long while, the choice was not obviously a right or wrong decision. But there was no doubt that this was to be a life-changing decision leading to 1 of 2 very different paths. I remember being at a total loss because I didn't know, or better yet I didn't remember how to get answers to questions that didn't just come from my own finite brain. I wasn't familiar with the inner voice. I was in my parent’s room sobbing like a lost child. My dad walked in and unexpectedly started to laugh. I sobbingly asked why he was laughing at me and my misfortune. He answered with something that introduced me to and reacquainted me with an unfamiliar feeling of peace. He said, "I'm so happy son, because it’s in times like these that the Lord can guide you best." He kneeled down with me and we prayed together for guidance. It was then that I learned WHY I needed to re-acquaint myself with the blessed impulse; this inner voice that would come to be the single-most important gift of my life.

From the inner voice come the words that develop the pictures in our mind's eye that create the vision. From this vision we can create goals, and from these goals we can begin the process of Kaizen, or continuous improvement. Kaizen is what bridges the human gap because it can lead to dynamic learning. There are several types of learning which I will cover in the "HOW" of the inner voice.

I'll end with another quote from Aurelio Peccei. As Peccei states in his forward, "All we need at this point in human evolution is to learn what it takes to learn what we should learn - and learn it."

Keep Moving Forward

Rusty Robson

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rusty, this was so touching, it brought trears to my eyes and my heart. You are a very special son of our Heavenly Father.

Keep growing and learning, I'll keep reading and learning from you.

Dianne Batchelor

Heather Weir said...

Thank you for this post Rusty. I've come to a cross roads as well if my daughter. How to raise her, how to help her know the truth. And for a long time its been I'll know what to do for myself but that is not true. Kathryn is a child of God and she needs more then just my guidence but my inspired guidence to help her.

Also I love how to can read a book and get so much out of it. Maybe that will be my next goal is to read a book with the intent of teaching it to others and not just for myself.

Keep up the great posts.

Brendan said...

Thank you for sharing such a powerfully written piece. I am grateful to have been enlightened by your words.

Lead On,
Brendan Dalley
Mentoring For Free

Anonymous said...

I loved this passage you wrote about your father laughing and then teaching. I think it is amazing that a great man, like your fahter, is able to enjoy the fruits of his labors through a his son's inspirational writtings. One of the many things I remember vividly about your dad, is his ablitiy to teach in times of difficulty. He was always such a great story teller. He related stories in a way that "Stuck". You just GOT IT!...and remembered it!